Tuesday, October 18, 2011

What is your Dream Vacation?

     Have you ever wanted  to go on a trip that has been your dream getaway or travel the world? I have always wanted to travel around Europe and would love to one day travel! Europe is is the sixth largest continent and has the third largest population.  This country is surrounded by the Mediterranean sea and has many different countries such as France, Italy, and Greece. Europe also has five of the oldest countries which are San Marino, France, Bulgaria, Denmark, and Portugal. Did you know that Europe has the tallest  mountain which is Mount Elbrus in Russia?  Most of the countries in Europe use the same currency which is called the Euro.
     One of my favorite foods from Europe is from the country of Spain.  Spain has delicious hot chocolate and churros.  I was able to try these two when a friend from Spain made them for our class one day.
     So now that I have told you about my dream vacation and some interesting facts about the country tell me what your dream vacation spot is.

VOCABULARY:

  1. getaway- to go away to a place
  2. continent-a big piece of land on the globe (there are seven in total)
  3. population-the number of people in a country, city, or other place
  4. currency-money
  5. churros-a doughnut pastry that is dipped in chocolate
GRAMMAR POINT:
Punctuation is very important to understand written language.  Three different punctuation marks are a question mark, a period, and an exclamation point.   A question mark is used when asking a question.  Most sentences that need a question mark start with the does, who, what, when, where, why, and how. A period is used at the end of a sentence when making a point or statement and an exclamation point is used to show excitement or emphasis.  

ACTIVITY:
Try to find the three different types of punctuation above (a period, an exclamation point, and a question mark) and tell me in writing why I used them in the places that I did.

CLOZE ACTIVITY:
Look at the example below and put either a period (.), an exclamation point(!) or a question mark(?).



  1. I love hot chocolate_____
  2. Does anyone have a telephone_____
  3. I went to the mall with my friends today_____
  4. Wait, just wait a moment_____
  5. When did you finish the book_____
  6. Leave me alone now_____

2 comments:

  1. I hope that you get to take your dream vacation someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the details you included about Europe, it was very informative. I thought that your grammar point was a great idea, punctuation is very important and you focused in on the ones that are commonly used by students. Great work!

    ReplyDelete